Translate

Saturday, April 27, 2013

DO YOU SEE WHAT I SEE?

I reviewed the description of my next class with a sigh of relief and some trepedation. After working on being as creative as I could be using what I felt the most comfortable with...applications in my last class, I found myself back in the pencil drawers looking for the point. But when I realized that here was an opportunity to use a new medium other than pencils, I was excited.

Here is how the description read:

This course involves observation and translation of three-dimensional (3-D) form into two-dimensional (2-D) drawings. Starting with simple shapes and progressing to more complex organic forms, students will build skill levels in composition and line quality through the use of tone, light, and shadow.

The course was called "Observational Drawing for GAD" ....yum. What this meant was things were about to get dirty. As in Charcoal as your favorite tool. In this class I learned techniques of shading that I can only say were truly appreciated and made my buding skills of drawing look so much better. I found myself calling on new found skills acquired in my "Perspectives" class. I  reviewed that class lessons and work like the secret to a map of gold was hidden in my notes. I approached this one with gutso I was surprised I had. I started....what for it! having fun. I pushed my self in drawing. I practiced and redid work over and over until it felt believeable. I drove my family crazy with questions like "What about this one or This one?".

At times, I caught simple mistakes before submission and corrected them immediately. And when my teacher critiqued my work I went back to the drawing board...Cough! and practiced again. This class  helped me see the artist in me from a creative view and then showed me I could have techniques.

I picked up cotton balls and knead eraser with confidence. I reached for numbered pencils knowing the differences in each. And at the end of each assignment I felt a sense of satisfaction and a desire to do more. Was it all rainbows...No! I felt the old urge to procrastinate and run from assignments. I started to justify before I even started why the work would be late. But at the end of the day I pushed threw and submitted work on time. The key here is I conquered my fears of drawing like the best of them. I studied my class mates work, asked questions that had meaning to improvement and did not feel intimidated by those that could draw in their sleep. Here was a class full of very talented artist critiquing my work and I felt they saw my talents and respected me.

To sum up this learning experience, I had put clothing on my stick figures and let them bask in the spotlights. (I drew form that showed muscle and movement; added shadows in the right places of my sketches with strong believeable shadings.)

Ok! here is where I want to say...Thank You! for still reading and following me through my experiences. My next few post will be on the industry and what I have learned so far. I'm heading to the East Coast Gaming Conference.

Talk to you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your welcome to leave a comment.